10 Ways to Maintain a Positive Mindset
I'm back this week with one of my favourite topics, positivity! I've felt such a lack of creativity and motivation this week: it really sucks. I'm still feeling a little bit lost - as I don't really have a routine or anything to do as such, I'm just sort of 'enjoying the summer' without the sunshine, alcohol and holidays - more like, getting up at midday and watching movies. But, as always, I'm going to channel the positivity and have a good attitude about where I am. If you're in need of a dose of positivity, read these tips to channel it:
1) Surround yourself with goodness - energy is definitely a thing and choosing happy spaces and people that make you feel good and uplifted massively effect your mood and your energy. I like to ensure my rooms are tidy and filled with things that make me feel happy like photos, plants, memories and floral scents. Likewise, with people, choose to be around those that make you laugh, support your decisions and motivate you. Sometimes it might be hard to remove people from your life that don't bring you those things but know that you are a l l o w e d to, and do not need to justify your decisions.
2) Choose your attitude - I 100% believe what you put into the universe will eventually find its way back to you. So, by having a positive attitude, positivity and goodness will come to you and by having positive energy, you'll attract that energy back. Shit things happen to everyone, but what defines you, is how you react to it. When bad things happen or you're not feeling great, of course you're allowed to feel negative emotions, but there will nearly always be something positive to focus on, and I think being able to channel that positivity is a lifelong lesson.
3) Find something that reminds you to be grateful and positive - whether it's a certain place, an activity or a quote, use that when you need it. Personally, I loveeeee positive affirmations and write them down all the time but also Max makes me feel like I can achieve anything, and everything will be ok. Have something that you can frequently use and go back to.
4) Focus on the present moment - nothing good will EVER come from worrying about the past or future. What's done is done and what will be, will be. The most important thing to do is focus on how you feel and what you're doing right now: focus all your energy on right now. Whatever you desire in the future, you can probably work towards right now but stop worrying if everything is going to work out - it will. It's no easy feat to control your anxiety and the constant pressure for more, but by focusing on the present moment you can relieve a little bit of it. Try meditation and mindful practices too!!
5) Alter your language - instead of 'I can't do that', or 'everything is going wrong' or speaking negatively about yourself, use happier language, spread that into the universe. Say actually, 'I can achieve this', and 'I am worthy'. How you speak to yourself is so important, be kind and respectful and motivate yourself just like how you would hype up your best friend. Don't degrade yourself, it's ok to acknowledge that you're good at things and you're actually allowed to like yourself and be happy in your body.
6) Show appreciation and gratitude - part of being positive is acknowledging how fortunate and lucky you are to exist. The world can be a truly awful place, but, the fact we're here and you have what you have in front of you is extremely lucky. Show gratitude for who you are and what you have. Bad things are always going to happen, no matter how good you live your life and how kind you are, that's just life. Wake up each day and acknowledge the good things in your life, even the tiny things! Just remember throughout the day how lucky you are.
7) Follow positive accounts - if you spend a lot of time on social media then you should focus on making it a happier space. Follow accounts that make you feel good, uplifted and inspired. I've followed loads of quote accounts recently because I like little reminders throughout the day and food for thought.
8) Sing - this might not work for everyone but I like to sing at the top of my voice to my favourite shitty music and I always feel better afterwards and full of joy and life.
9) Self-care - taking care of yourself will help you feel better and more positive in the other aspects of your life. Happiness starts from within and feeling good in yourself will help your mindset in general. Plenty of rest, energy, endorphins, socialising, creativity, managing stress etc will create a happier you. When you feel good and happy, it's easier to channel those feelings into other areas of your life.
10) Make it a habit - try and write down 1 positive moment from your day, no matter how small. Then, you'll be able to recognise more positive things throughout your day and it'll be easy to think positive.
"The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware".